I don’t know about you, but I am an accumulator of STUFF. Just lots and lots of STUFF. This last weekend, I just got tired of it, and decided I wanted to do something about it. This room you could hardly walk into, because there was so much stuff in it!
The funny thing is that I hate clutter. It is what makes me go over the edge. When things are messy all around me (especially in the kitchen), it just really stresses me out! Before I start any project in the kitchen, I have clean my work area, and wipe down all the counters (even under the toaster)! If things are out of place, it drives me crazy!
One thing I wanted to organize was all my jars of canned goods. I have been canning so much this summer, but I just keep piling jars on top of jars, and I really didn’t even know what was in there!
In our kitchen, we have some space on the top of the counters, before the ceiling starts. I decided to use this space to store some of my canning jars!
First, I went through everything, and found out I had about 20 jars of stock!! Vegetable stock, chicken stock, and turkey stock!!! I guess I need to start using it more often
I mean, look at all these jars of jam and other condiments – I don’t think we will ever run out of jam!
This is what the space above the cabinets looks like now:
I love it! Plus, since these jars are in the kitchen, I have a feeling I will be more apt to use them! I have had to buy so many jars this summer, just because I didn’t have any empty ones! All the ones I had were full!
Our house really is pretty small, and between both my husband and I, we just have too much stuff. So, I started going through the whole house, cleaning up and moving things around.
So here are my tips for you on what to do when you have too much stuff!
1. Go through your belongings. Do you really need it? Can it be thrown away or donated? You know the rule, if you haven’t used it in the last 6 months, are you ever going to use it? Probably not! Same with clothes! If you don’t see yourself losing those last 20 pounds to fit into the clothes you wore in high school, donate them to someone who can use them!
2. Consolidate items. We have jar after jar holding pens. Do we really need that many pens?? Can we keep them in one area to make them easier to find?
3. Reorganize. I ended up cleaning off some bookshelves that were holding random junk, and moving them to more useful places and putting – guess what on them??? Books!!!
4. Really examine your house. Are there areas you can use that aren’t being used? We have a lot of wall space that I think could serve better purposes. For example, there is a table we have pictures of family on, and everytime you walk by, one of the pictures falls off. So, we are going to start hanging those on the wall, and using the table for other purposes!
5. Stop buying stuff!! Part of this is coming from my need to reorganize my budget. I but too much stuff. I am a compulsive over spender, which is something I am working on. I want to live a simpler life, without so much stuff!!
I mean, look at this. This is all the bags of herbs I have bought in the last couple of months. They all have uses, and I have made some great herbal remedies with them, but now I have no place to store them!
I feel better already! Our house is less cluttered, although it is a work in progress.
Question: What about you? Any tips for living with less or de-cluttering your house (and life)?